Install Google Analytics (GA4) for Shopify (updated)
In today’s e-commerce environment Google Analytics feels like a necessity.
Unfortunately, Shopify’s own Guide is not up to date with Google’s latest Analytics version (GA4).
In case you are tired of seeing this screen
This guide is for you.
The good news however, it is just as easy to connect your store to Google Analytics how it was before. Just slightly different.
If you haven’t set up an analytics property yet, you can follow these steps:
- Create a Google Analytics account
- On the Analytics Dashboard, go to Admin (at the bottom of the left side bar)
- On the right side you should see a property. If not, select “create property” at the top.
- Click on Setup Assistant
Select Tag Installation
Select the stream you want to connect
Select Global site tag
Copy the code snipped
- In your Shopify Dashboard, go to Themes -> Actions -> Edit Code
- Search for the file named theme.liquid
Paste the snipped we just copied from Google Analytics within the <head> </head> tag
Et voila! Save the page, refresh the website and you should see the Google Analytics Dashboard start tracking live visitors.
If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot us a message. I’m happy to help out.
Developer @ Hazil Studios